With a road named after it – Red Lion Lane -the Red Lion was the local of Ann Dickinson, wife of the paper magnate John Dickinson, whose paper mills dominated the Gade valley for much of the 19th and 20th Centuries. Although it turned out that Mrs Dickinson didn’t actually drink there – instead she sent her ‘boy’ to collect packages of oysters sent to the pub from London! The Red Lion is a listed building with part of the structure dating to the 17th Century) and now stands in the shadow of a railway bridge built in 1837 for the London & Birmingham Railway. Building works must have been an enormous disruption at the time, although the 20,000 navvies used in the railway’s construction were probably great business for the pub!
The name Red Lion comes from heraldry, a red lion forming part of the royal coat of arms since 1066. It remains the most popular pub name in the UK.
Serves classic pub food and Sunday roasts. Kids Menu.
Family-friendly, canalside, outside seating with large lawned area, sometimes a bouncy castle.
The Red Lion is spacious and stylish with comfortable sofas and a function room.